Monday, January 28, 2008

Making Do

Ever since I moved into my house 2 1/2 years ago I've had a problem with my dryer. It simply took too long to dry, sometimes three hours for a small load.

I reported it to the builder who said it was the manufacturer's fault. The manufacturer said it was the problem of the builder. I felt I coultn't get anywhere with either of them, so I just "made do". Eventually, the vent hose came off the dryer and suddenly, my clothes were drying.

When I mentioned to someone that the dryer worked fine when it wasn't connected to the vent hose, she suggested that the duct that vents outside might be clogged. I called someone in to clean and he found that while the duct was connected to the outside vent, it was never opened. Now I just have to wait for the builder to admit their mistake and fix it. I'm so glad that problem is almost solved.

I have learned a valuable lesson. For most of my life I've felt that there was something honorable in "making do". That concept works well when it comes to controlling spending or conserving materials and resources, but not when you want workers to accept responsibility for their performance. I really should have pursued this problem from the beginning. I guess it's not too late to start now.

No comments: