Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Books

I love to read. I'll read anything, even cereal boxes.

Some women can't pass a shoe store or jewelry counter without buying something. I can go to a shoe store and not buy, I can stop at a jewelry counter and touch, but not buy, but I can't stop in a bookstore, any bookstore, and not buy.

Last Sunday I went to the local Barnes & Noble to buy a gift for a good friend, who also is a voracious reader. I did find a book for her, and I also found several others for me. I am so backed up with my reading, I must have 15 books waiting for me. It's not only bookstores that give me trouble, I also go on-line to buy my books. When a book comes in the mail, it's almost like getting a present.

My tastes are varied. I enjoy mysteries, history, biographies, current events. Anything but horror. I have four bookcases which are so full, I often can't find what I'm looking for.

This collection doesn't even include the cookbooks. I'm a collector of cookbooks. Some have been signed by the authors and others probably have just one recipe that I've made.

I add to this collection whenever I travel by buying a regional cookbook. It gives me a lasting memory of my vacation.

I suppose I could have worse habits. At least I can learn something in the course of my reading.

No comments: