Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Dinner

A couple of weeks ago while I was food shopping I saw a Cornish hen for sale. I then realized that I hadn't had that in such a long time. I filed it into my memory and then last week when I saw that I had no plans for Thanksgiving, I bought one. It's the perfect size, enough for leftovers for only one day (thank goodness).


Of course, my organization and planning leave much to be desired. I had no idea how I would cook this hen. I went to my cookbook library, I have over 100 in my collection and checked out Jacques Pepin, but I couldn't find anything there. My next stop was Pam Anderson. She has several books covering the perfect recipe for.... I chose "The Perfect Recipe for Having People Over" and found Butterflied Cornish Hens with Apricot Pistachio Dressing.


The next step was to find the ingredients. I try to keep an assortment of foods on hand. I found the pistachios and I knew I had dried apricots. The big problem was apricot jam. I found a very small jar but it wasn't enough for the recipe. I knew I could substitute a different jam, but I didn't know which one to use. Then I had a bright idea. When I was in France last summer I bought a jar of mirabelle preserves. Mirabelles are a small, yellow or orange plum and they're very tasty. Since it's the same color I decided to use this substitute.


It turned out pretty well in spite of the fact that the smoke detector went off when I opened the 450 degree oven. I guess it's time to clean the oven.

I placed it on my plate with mashed potatoes and green beans, and of course a glass of Fume Blanc from Washington State.


I decided to give Crash and Burn a treat and opened a can of turkey cat food. I thought about having their food on the table, but decided against it. They ate in their usual spot and enjoyed it very much.



For dessert, I'm having a small apple pie which claims to serve four, but I'll only get two servings out of it. I had wanted to buy a pumpkin pie, but the store doesn't carry small ones, and I don't trust myself with a large pie.

It would have been great to have a houseful of company, but I have other blessings so I can't feel sorry for myself. Thanksgiving is just a day, I can be thankful for my life every day and share those days with family and friends.

Hope you had a good one.

No comments: