Monday, November 24, 2008

Penmanship

The other day when I was signing a credit card slip the sales person commented on my neat handwriting. This is not the first time someone has made a comment like that. Way back when I was working, as I was writing a message, one of the officers said that I must have gone to Catholic school because my writing was so neat and precise.

It wasn't always like that. Back in 4A, Sister Bernadette told my parents that I had to work on my penmanship. She compared my writing with my friend Joan's so we could see how neat Joan was. I protested that while my writing wasn't that good, that was because I was lefthanded. I've seen some samples from then and it isn't that bad, but it's definitely not according to "The Palmer Method". I remember all those exercises, and sometimes I find myself doodling them.

My writing isn't always neat and precise, only when it's for public viewing. Sometimes, I find myself reverting to shorthand. That's always fun. Start writing something in script, then if someone is reading over your shoulder, start using shorthand. Confuses them every time.

Of course, now I never have to write. I type everything

No comments: