Wednesday, November 12, 2008

An Irish Show

Today a group of us from the community went to an Irish restaurant (Doolans) on the Shore for lunch and a show. We expected it to be a quick luncheon and short show. Boy, were we wrong.

The food was very good. We had soup, salad, an entree and dessert. Since this was an Irish place, I opted for the corned beef and cabbage which was very good except the slices were too thin for me. I like my corned beef sliced thick.

After lunch we had a sing-along led by Mike Byrne. There were a few Irish songs which I knew, but there were more that I didn't. Listening to "McNamara's Band" and "It's a Great Day for the Irish" brought me back to those days at St. Sylvester's when we would prepare for St. Patrick's Day by learning those songs. We were a little disappointed with the sing-along because we originally expected a little skit and thought it had been cancelled.

After about 1 1/2 hours the skit started. The premise is that a matchmaker, Mary Fitzpatrick, joins three couples after finding out about each of them. Each member has a little time to tell a story or two and sing a song - usually an Irish song. They were all pretty good, but one member of the group was exceptional. He did a rendition of "Danny Boy" that was equal to any I've heard on TV. All the members of the troupe were family, quite a talented family.

It was a fun afternoon - good food, good music, good comedy and good performances. A day well spent.

No comments: