Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Reading

Today for the second week in a row our activities director was not at the Clubhouse. She usually has a few jobs for me to do in my three hour shift. I really enjoy working there, I get to know my neighbors and I have time to chat.

Today, after I finished a few items, I was able to read my newspaper and book. Reading is one of the few things I miss about having a real job. When I worked, I had a long commute and usually spent half of it reading. I could read a book a week. Now, I'm lucky if I read a chapter a week.

I think the problem is that I just don't make the time to sit down and read. When I do, after a short time I start thinking of the dishes to be washed, the laundry to be washed, etc. Then, there's the phone. I don't know how many times I've settled into my chair, gotten involved in my book and the phone would ring.

I think the only solution for me is to set aside about a half hour a day for reading only, and if the phone rings, ignore it. It won't be easy, but it will be worth it.

No comments: