Saturday, April 19, 2008

The Joy of Driving

I still travel back to Woodhaven for two people - my hairdresser and my dentist.

Yesterday, it was time for a haircut. I decided to leave the house early for my appointment. A trip that normally takes 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours took 3 hours. I think the city Highways Department saw what a beautiful day it was and decided it was a good time to close lanes on the Belt Parkway. Of course, everyone who had a driver's license was also on that road yesterday. I finally made it and got my haircut.


Because I was leaving later, after 4:00 pm, and after roadwork was finished, I thought the traffic would be lighter. What was I thinking? It was much worse. There didn't seem to be any reason, except that there seemed to be twice as many cars on the road, along with the usual fender benders. It almost made me want to give up my driver's license. I didn't, that would be foolish.


As bad as yesterday was, that wasn't my worst traffic experience. A few years ago I was travelling from upstate New York to New Jersey on the Garden State Parkway. I left my house about 2:30 pm, expecting to arrive by 5:30 pm. I finally arrived at 11:00 pm! There had been a cloudburst and the Garden State Parkway flooded in only one spot, closing two of three lanes. The third lane also had a huge puddle.

And people wonder why I'm so fanatical about leaving early and allowing a lot of time for a trip.

No comments: