There was an error in this gadget

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Lifelong Learning

Last night at our weekly canasta game, we were discussing what we each had done during the week. When it was my turn, I told about my trip to the City and lecture. I was quite surprised by the reaction of one of the women. She asked why I would want to go into the City and sit through a lecture.

I couldn't understand her reaction. Maybe I'm sterotyping her. I thought that as a teacher, she would understand someone's wanting to keep learning, no matter how old. Wait until she hears about some of my other planned studies - photography, geology, Shakespeare, French, just to name a few.

There's so much to learn, I keep thinking of a saying I've seen in some catalogs, "So many books, so little time".

1 comment:

ms/sss said...

I wouldn't be surprised if more of your friends don't start joining you at some of these lectures. You weren't stereotyping, but you might have been speaking to a worn out and weary teacher friend, who now needs some laughs and some down time before getting back into the educational lectures scene again. I bet she'll be back!
I'm very proud of you, Mom, and I think you are a great example!
ms/sss