Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Family Tree

When I was growing up all my friends had grandparents. The only grandparent I knew was my father's mother and she died when I was six. I don't remember too much about her, except that she was ill. I guess that's why I've always felt that my family began with my parents and aunts and uncles.

I decided to do a little checking since I learned the names of my grandmother and great-grandmother. I had heard that my grandmother came over from Germany when she was about 15, so I decided to check the records at Ellis Island. Well, it looks like she came over here two years before they kept records at Ellis Island.

Then I decided to check with the Church of Latter Day Saints. I've heard that their genealogy records are very complete. I checked my father, they had a record. Feeling very confident I checked my grandmother and grandfather, no luck. They had no records of them whatsoever. Now I'm back to square one.

Maybe my family really did start with my parents' generation.

No comments: