Thursday, April 24, 2008

Museum Field Trip

Today I started my lecture series on The Language of Music at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC. The day started off badly, my alarm didn't go off. I got up an hour later than I had planned so I didn't have time to make my bed. I'm so glad I didn't have an emergency at the house. I would have been so embarrassed to have an emergency worker see my unmade bed.


Once I got to the Met, everything went well. The lecture was very interesting and I then took a stroll around the museum. I'm in awe of their Egyptian Exhibit. I saw bowls from 3700 BC, cloth from 2500 BC. The cloth was woven from2 ply "S" twist linen thread. The museum even has Perneb's tomb set up in one room. There are portraits on limewood from 130 to 150 AD. It seems that the Egyptians enjoyed gaming. I saw a set of ivory dice from the 1st century BC to 4th century AD. The museum has a collection of 36,000 Egyptian artifacts.

I find it amazing that so many of these articles have remained intact. There is so little breakage, even of glass containers.

I was also surprised to learn that the museum allows photography as long as there is no flash used and it is not a special exhibition.

No comments: