Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Exercise

I've been talking for quite a while about my lack of exercise since I retired and today I realized how much walking I did when working and how little I do now.

I know I walked quite a bit from the train to the office each morning, I usually walked about 1/2 hour at lunch time and again in the evening. I had forgotten about the stairs. The subway station is about three levels below ground. I now live in a ranch style house, the roads in my community are level. I never climb stairs unless I ride the subway.

Today I went into the city to meet a friend for lunch. I was reminded about the stairs when I got off the train. After the first flight my knees began to hurt, by the time I got to the street, I was winded. It was quite enlightening. I hate to admit it, but I'm out of shape.

I've got to do more walking. I don't know where I'll find stairs, but I've got to. No wonder I gained 30 pounds when I retired.

No comments: