Monday, January 25, 2010

Single Travler Problem

I had signed up for a trip to Italy and a Mediterranean cruise to some Greek Islands. The trip was scheduled to start April 30 and I planned to make it a birthday gift to me. I was so looking forward to it. I must add that I prefer to room by myself on a trip.

Last week I received a call from the tour company that this particular tour was being cancelled due to lack of interest, but there was another trip planned for May 7. I said, I would be interested in this trip. Today I got another call from the tour company. It seems that the company is not interested in booking a single cabin. So I cancelled my reservation and will receive a full refund. I consoled myself with the thought that I'm taking another cruise in October. This will be a river cruise on the Rhine from Strasbourg to Amsterdam. Initially, I had the same problem with this cruise, the company did not want to book a single cabin. But they relented.

As a single traveler, I am willing to, and do, pay a lot more money than a couple would on a per person basis. I accept that and it is the price I pay for my privacy.

I thought we were in a recession and the travel industry has been hit hard by this reession. What I can't understand is why a company, any company, is reluctant to book a single cabin for about 75% of the fee they might get if two people, each paying the person rate, stayed in that same cabin. For example, if the rate is $1000 per person based on two people in the room (total cost $2000), I would pay $1750.00 for my single room. In these tough times, I would think that a company would take the definite booking and not wait and take a chance on booking two people who might not take the trip.

I just don't understand it. I must be missing something.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. It does seem like the tour company would be happy for a sale.

The tour sounds great! I hope you still get to make the Italy and Mediterranean cruise at some point.

But the Rhine/Strasbourg will be very nice, too.
Have a great day.
Pam

Pamela said...

I've always wanted to go on a cruise.
Are you sure you want to bunk alone. I'd go!!!
(just kidding --)

Staci said...

I've had the same thoughts several times, as I'd be a single traveler as well. I think that companies should just charge a set price for each person, regardless of double/single, and I think it would all come out the same in the end, without the single travelers feeling like they are being treated unfairly.

Have a good day!