Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Handy Andy?

About two months ago I went tankless. My old water heater was four years old and I worried that it might break and I would have 75 gallons of water all over the house. This new heater takes some getting used to, but so far it's working out well. It's a small box that sits on the wall and doesn't start to heat the water until I turn on the faucet. It's supposed to save energy and water.

The only problem I have with my house is the lack of storage. Now that I don't have that 75 gallon water heater sitting in my laundry room, I have room for a cabinet. The other day I ordered a utility cabinet that had to be assembled. I decided that I could do that.

Tonight I decided to do the assembly work, since I want to play with my new toy. I opened the box, checked to see that I had the right number of sides, doors, shelves. I took each set out and kept the pieces together. Then I started looking for the directions and couldn't find any. I called the store and they said they would put a set aside for me for tomorrow. Of course, I'm very impulsive and couldn't wait. After all, what is a cabinet but a box with doors and shelves.

I started putting it together. It was so easy, I just snapped the sides into the bottom, snapped the doors onto the bottom, and slid the back into place. Then I put the top on the other sides and doors. Everything was going well until I tried to snap the top and sides onto the bottom and sides. It didn't fit. I realized that I should have put the sides and doors onto the bottom set and slid the back into place. The top should have gone on last.

Oh well! I struggled some more, took it apart wherever I could. Finally everything fell into place. While I was resting on my laurels I discovered that I had not slid the back into the top half. Since the cabinet will be in the laundry room and not seen by anyone but me I decided to let it be. After all, if it's against the wall, why does it need a back.

I took a break and then saw a sheet of blue paper on the floor. Surprise! Surprise! It was the directions. Evidently, it had been between the shelves and fell to the floor without my noticing. If I had only separated the pieces instead of just counting them, I would have saved myself a lot of time and aggravation. Oh, and I also have two small pieces left over.

1 comment:

Pamela said...

I've never heard of a wtr heater like that.