Friday, January 15, 2010

Dreams

Today I watched one of my favorite movies, The Unfinished Dance, starring Margaret O'Brien. She was one of my favorites when I was a little girl. I believe this movie also introduced me to classical music. I still remember the summer night (a big treat) I saw the movie at the Embassy Theater in Brooklyn. It was always a treat to go to the Embassy, which was a step up from the other theater, the Gem, where we usually saw our movies. But I digress.

I remember walking ahead of my family and trying all the pirouettes and other steps I had seen Margaret doing. It didn't matter that she caused a dancer to be injured so that her favorite would take over the lead. I wanted to take ballet lessons and be a ballerina just like her and wear a tutu and toe shoes. For years I tried standing on my toes in regular shoes, not at all easy. I even tried to see how high I could lift my leg as if on a barre. In my 50's I even tried a ballet exercise tape. Boy was I sore just from trying the basic positions.

When I learned that Joanne Woodward took up ballet at middle age, I thought maybe I should do it too. But then reality struck and I decided against it for many reasons, one of which is the fact that I have absolutely no sense of rhythm, a big drawback for a dancer.

Now I must content myself to watching the ballet and dreaming.

No comments: