Sunday, December 20, 2009

When Life Gives You Lemons...

Yesterday was supposed to be the day of my big family party. The snow cancelled that. There I was sitting around wondering what to do with my evening.

Then I remembered something. Years ago when my son was about 4 or 5 we had a little snow. I bundled the boys up and went out to shovel the sidewalk while they played in the 2 or 3" of snow. When it was time to go in, I said we would have a blizzard party. I made warm hot chocolate and we had some cookies. It was a fun afternoon.

The next week we had snow again. Of course, my son asked for another blizzard party. Everyone knows that when you do something once with a young child, it becomes a tradition and we had another blizzard party.

Late in the afternoon yesterday, I called a few friends and invited them to my house for a blizzard party. Why not, the house was company ready and I had the food. Instead of warm hot chocolate and cookies, we had an adult beverage and lasagna. We have a very good time and commented from time to time that the plows were very busy clearing the street. We even commented on how nice the snow looked.

Finally someone decided it was time to go home. We were all surprised (although I don't know why) to see how high the snow was. The cars were in my driveway and at first there was no problem getting out. Then it happened, one of the couples got stuck in the snow. They tried everything; rocking the car, putting rugs on the snow to provide traction and finally putting some kitty litter around the wheels. That finally did the trick. Then it was time to work on the other car. They got stuck too and tried the same routine. The kitty litter worked again.

I felt very guilty about their getting stuck, it was the only downside of the evening. I think I'll have a blizzard party whenever we have snow, although I don't know if any of my friends will come back.

This is how it looked early in the day yesterday.


This is what it looked like today.






My driveway still hasn't been plowed, but I can take a walk if I so desire since my walkway has been shoveled. I've heard that the major roads in the area are clear so I'll be able to meet my son who has been staying with friends.

Hopefully, it won't warm up too much this week and the snow will still be around for Christmas.

3 comments:

threecollie said...

Wow! You really got a lot! Too bad about the getting stuck part but your party sounds like it was wonderful just the same.

HMK said...

Of course we'll be back!
That party was fun!
Even getting stuck was an adventure. At least Jeanne & I thought so-we didn't do the heavy work!
Merry Christmas!

Snooty Primadona said...

The Weather Idiots kept predicting snow here but alas, it missed us again. However, it HAS been cold, which is better than nothing.

Thanks for the kitty litter tip. Sounds like a winner to me.

Our cousins got stuck in snow outside of their home in Dallas while trying to get here for Christmas. They finally got in this morning around 3:00 AM & said it was grueling until they got to Abilene. We're just glad they all made it in tact.