Monday, October 13, 2008

The Dow

WOW!!! The Dow was up over 900 points today. Everyone is excited. This is good, isn't it? Is the economy starting to recover? Will the foreclosures and layoffs end soon?



I don't want to be a pessimist, but I don't necessarily think so. Of course an increase in the Dow is good, but this many points? To me, that points to volatility, and that can lead to a big decrease the next day or the next week. I'd rather see the Dow rise or even fall only 10 to 50 points in a day on a regular basis. That would really point to a recovery and some stability.



The rise in the Dow is encouraging, maybe we've turned the corner, hit the bottom, etc. I hope so, but I'm not celebrating just yet. I'm looking forward to a few weeks of moderate gains, although the huge swing is sooo exciting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Your musings have been stuck on October 8th until right now, when I enjoyed several more of your bloggings. The view from your window is really very lovely. How nice that you can enjoy so many simple beauties. Many of us just let them pass by, unnoticed.
As for the DOW. I wish we had our retirement in a cardboard box, something like the box we used at school every Lent, saving money for the poor. I'd feel a lot safer that way.
ms/sss