Sunday, July 6, 2008

Marmalade

I've admitted before that I'm not a good shopper. I usually buy on impulse or habit. But that's going to change.

Today I was doing some grocery shopping and decided to buy another jar of orange marmalade because I have a recipe for a salad that includes marmalade. I was about to take the jar made by the Trappist Monks in Massachusetts when I saw that it was a dollar more than the Smucker's which I usually buy.

I had to see what made the Trappist marmalade worth more than the Smucker's. I checked labels and found that the monks use sugar, corn syrup, seville orange peel, orange juice and citric acid while the Smucker's used high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup (although I don't know why they use two different kinds of corn syrum), orange peel, orange juice, fruit pectin,citric acid and natural orange flavor.

So I bought the Trappist and did a taste test at home. The Trappist marmalade had more flavor and a few more calories. I have a muffin recipe that calls for marmalade and I thought it seemed a little bland, so the next time I make it, I'll use the Trappist's marmalade.

No comments: