Monday, June 23, 2008

George Carlin

This morning I heard the news that George Carlin had died yesterday. I've always liked him and thought that he was very clever. But, he certainly was irreverent and raunchy. I never did learn the seven words you can't say on television.



Early on in his career he would do a routine questioning various everyday items. I don't remember any but his discussion of a paper clip, asking how did it get its name - it's neither paper nor a clip.



He also had a great routine about stuff. The gist was that we accumulate stuff, then it takes over our house, then we buy organizational stuff which consolidates our stuff so we have more room in the house, so we buy more stuff. It's a neverending cycle.



I've read two of his books, but I was embarrassed to admit to friends that I did. He will be missed.

No comments: