Monday, March 24, 2008

Food Warnings

Yesterday I was watching the medical segment of the news. The doctor was giving us some hints on staying healthy at Easter time. He said that the colored hard boiled eggs should not sit out at room temperature for more than two hours and should be eaten within four or five days. This surprised me because when I was younger, the eggs would stay in our basket for up to a week. I don't recall any of us getting sick. He also said that we should not eat raw eggs or cake butter. Again I'm guilty, in fact, I still take a chance.

What puzzles me is that now we have more sophisticated ways of transporting eggs from the farm to the supermarket. They get there more quickly so that when we buy them, they are fresher. The same goes for meat, particularly chopped meat.

I'm sure meat inspections are better than they were 50 or so years ago, and the conditions on the farms and in the slaughterhouses are much better and more sanitary. Yet, there are all these warnings. I once went to a diner and ordered a rare hamburger. The waitress frowned and said no she couldn't serve a rare hamburger. The one I got was OK, but certainly not as good.

I can't understand why we have all these warnings. Are we as a society not as healthy as 50 years ago, or are the farmers, supermarkets and diners afraid of being sued?

One other thing that disturbed me yesterday. They gave the calorie count of the Easter goodies that we all enjoy. I don't want to think about that. Just let me enjoy my Peeps and worry about the calories tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day.

No comments: