Monday, April 26, 2010

Inconsiderate People

They say you shouldn't write anything when you're angry or annoyed. This is why I waited a day and after speaking with someone similarly affected.

The problem occurred yesterday in church. This woman came in with three children ages 7 and under. She was 15 minutes late. I'm sure someone would say how hard it is to get three children dressed and out on time. I would answer that by saying that if she had tickets to a performance of the circus or Sleeping Beauty or Shrek, she would be sure to be on time, no matter how early she had to be there.

The children were restless the entire time, yet she only chastised the oldest and never said a word to the other two. The middle child, a girl, brought a stuffed animal to church. I hate to sound like a cranky old lady, but back in the day when my boys were young, we brought books that had bible stories aimed at children. My boys called them, "God books". We were always on time and they behaved themselves, sitting and standing still, no wiggling.

Back to this family. She also brought this horrible smelling hand cream with her and, of course, the children had to use it. One woman, after shaking the boy's hand as the Sign of Peace had to wipe her hand off. Then, after making everyone step over her and the youngest (she allowed the middle child who was about 5 to go up for communion, even though she was too young to receive) at communion time, she packed up and left early.

I know I should be charitable and be glad that at least she brought her children to church with her, but I don't feel very charitable. She and her children were a distraction to all around them.

4 comments:

Snooty Primadona said...

I'm right there with you. Since we attended Sunday School, we were never late for church & I did it for many years without the presence or help of Mr. Snoots.

Okay, the hand lotion part grossed me out, LOL! The depth of some people's inconsiderate ways never ceases to amaze me....

Anonymous said...

I understand how distracting that was for so many people. But I can understand that we just don't know the lady's circumstances. Perhaps she was at her wit's end and needed to get to church. Things kept coming up and she was late. Where was her husband? Maybe she didn't have one?
Perhaps she was hoping someone would reach out to her with a kind word.

I know, it isn't what you wanted to hear. I can't help it, I
always feel sympathy to both sides.

Have a great day.
Pam

ANGELFITZ@AOL.COM said...

DEAR MOM,
THIS DOESN'T SOUND LIKE THE MOM I KNOW. MAYBE YOU WERE HAVING A BAD DAY YOURSELF. REMEMBER THE ADAGE, "BE KINDER THAN NECESSARY TO EVERYONE YOU MEET TODAY, BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT KIND OF BURDEN THEY'RE CARRYING. I KNOW IT SOUNDS GOOD AND PERHAPS MANY TIMES TOO HARD TO FOLLOW. IF I'M TOO DISTRACTED BY KIDS IN CHURCH, I JUST SLIP INTO ANOTHER SEAT. IN THE TIMES WE LIVE IN THESE DAYS, NOTHING CEASES TO AMAZE ME. LOL I HOPE TODAY IS BETTER AND NEXT WEEK, WATCH WHERE YOU SIT.
LOVE, SSS / PAT

Sue said...

I don't go to church...haven't been since I was a kid but I say that if you can't be respectful leave your kids at home...some people have no brains...