Thursday, April 29, 2010

German Lesson

I'm surprised with myself. I'm still setting aside an hour a day for my German lesson. I'm using Rosetta Stone and it seems to be working well.

I'm not doing as well as I would like, but since I haven't studied anything in about 15 years I guess I'm not doing so badly.

Two years ago I did try to learn French for my trip to Alsace Lorraine. I must admit that I didn't take it seriously. I listened to the cd's whenever I thought of it. I did try to learn by osmosis. I listened to the cd's as a way to go to sleep. I thought I might learn in my sleep. Didn't work. I do know that I can order a ham and cheese sandwich in French, that's about it.

The German vocabulary is coming to me quicker than the grammar and writing and that really disturbs me. You see, I consider myself quite the grammarian, in English of course and my spelling is very good too.

Even though it's getting harder, I have to keep at it. It's a matter of pride. I won't let it beat me. I'm determined to be able to speak, even if it's only a little, for my riverboat cruise in Germany in October. Today is Donnerstag.

1 comment:

HMK said...

You have great stamina!