Saturday, August 2, 2008

How I Spent My Summer Vacation

I returned home late last night. When she heard my key in the door, Crash came running, then she promptly turned around when she saw it was me. She wanted nothing to do with me. Burnie, on the other hand, was very glad to see me. He never left my side all night. This morning, Crash was a little better and by late afternoon, she "forgave" me for going away.

My flights were beautifully uneventful. They may have left late, but they arrived on time. No luggage was lost or broken and my ride was on time and greeted me with a sign with my name on it. I felt so important. That's just what I used to do for the vice presidents of my company when I made their travel arrangements.

I saw a lot while I was there, but I am getting tired of telling people that, yes, Seattle does have a lot of rain, but it's not at all like we get here. They rarely get a downpour and when it does rain heavy, by the time you've put your umbrella up, it's time to take it down.

We went to the Museum of Glass in Tacoma and saw several of Dale Chihuly's pieces. Of course, we made the mandatory stop at the Gift Shop and while there I saw a piece by Dehanna Jones for sale. About two years ago I bought the same bowl (in a different color) on a trip to Seattle. I didn't check the price, don't want to think I could have gotten it for less.

My son was a very good tour director and he was very patient with me. I had only one request for my time there and that was to see either Mt. Ranier or Mt. St. Helens. We went to Mt. Ranier, or "the mountain" as the locals call it. It took up the whole day, but the views were wonderful. Of course, the clouds obscurred the top of the mountain, but what I saw was very impressive.

I had a wonderful time in Seattle and it was good to spend the time with my son. We saw a lot more, and I'll comment on them another time.

No comments: