Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Sculpture

One of my days in Seattle was spent at the Olympic Sculpture Park. It's filled with many kinds of pieces of art. Some of it was different like this piece called Perre's Ventaglio III by Beverly Pepper.

Or this one which I think was my favorite. For those of you too young to recognize this, it's a typewriter eraser by Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen. The pink part was used to erase the error and the brush was used to clean the area. It's probably my favorite because it reminded me of my days as a secretary, before computers. I certainly used my share of erasers and probably helped Eberhard Faber make some nice profits in the '60's and '70's.


We then saw the Eyes by Louise Bourgeois. They seem to follow you. There actually are three sets and if you get close enough and walk around to the back, you see that they really are benches.

I thought this sign, while not a piece of art, was very interesting. It very politely asks that you not touch the art because touching can harm the art. Here in the East, the sign would just say "Do Not Touch", or "No Touching".


This is a fountain also designed by Louise Bourgeois. It shows a Father and Son reaching out for each other. At various times, the water covers the boy and other times the father.

It was a very enjoyable day, even though some of the art was different from what I'm used to. I guess there's room for all expressions of creativity.




No comments: