Sunday, August 24, 2008

TiVo

I'm so proud of myself.

For years I've been using a TV with a built-in VCR to tape my shows. Last week I decided to enter the 21st century and bought a TiVO unit. When I got it home, I connected it to my TV and followed the directions completely. There was a problem. The picture was green and there was a slight hum.

I called TiVo to set up my account and mentioned the problems I was having. The customer service representative helped me with the green picture by having me adjust the tint and color. We were not so fortunate with the hum, in fact it got worse. We were on the phone for an hour and a half, but still couldn't get rid of the hum.

Saturday, my cable company came to install a cable card into the TiVo. He was very concerned about the hum and tried to fix it. He even changed the cables, but nothing worked. He suggested that I might have a bad TiVo unit.

After he left, I started playing around with the controls for the TV. I adjusted the bass and treble, but the hum was still there. Then, I played with the balance and suddenly there was no hum. Nobody thought about the balance before.

Now I'm ready to tape (or should I say record since there's no tape involved).

No comments: