Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Economy

I'm not an economist, I didn't do that well in the economy courses I took at St. Johns University many, many years ago. That being said, I don't understand how raising taxes on corporate profits and the rich will solve that problems that are affecting all of us.

From what I can see, the corporations are the ones who create the jobs which result in lower unemployment rates which result in more people working which results in more income taxes being paid. When people are empoyed, there is a need for products, food, automobiles and services. Even the individual wealthy person consumes more expensive products resulting in higher sales taxes.

I've recently read that the higher wage earners pay a greater percentage of the total taxes received by the government. I don't know how true it is, but it is food for thought. If this is true, I can't see how punishing the successful can help our country.

I know we should help the poor lift themselves out of poverty, but how can a handout help. It just tides them over for a short while, and until they help and educate themselves, the poverty will remain.

After all, when was the last time a poor person or neighborhood created a job. Jobs are created when corporations are allowed to prosper.

I may be wrong in my thinking and I will listen to anyone's correction.

No comments: