Monday, August 18, 2008

Olympics

Today's WALL STREET JOURNAL had a few great editorials. This means that they agree with me. I'll only mention one today.


I admit I haven't been following the Olympics, except for the occasional report on Michael Phelps and his record breaking eight gold medals. According to the Journal, Kobe Bryant of the NBA who is playing with Team USA told one reporter that he got "goosebumps" when he received his Olympics uniform. He just looked at it for a while, held it and laid it across his bed and just stared at it for a few minutes because as a kid he felt this is the ultimate in basketball. He went on to call the U.S. the "greatest country in the world. It has given us so many great opportunities and it's just a sense of pride that you have; that you say, 'You know what? Our country is the best.'"

The reporter asked if that was a cool thing to say in this day and age. That you love your country, and that you're fighting for the red, white and blue. Mr. Bryant replied, "No, it's a cool thing for me to say. I feel great about it and I'm not ashamed to say it. I mean, this is a tremendous honor."

After all, Mr. Bryant and his teammates on the basketball squad are giving up their offseason to play for nothing except possible medals. Mr. Bryant has also been an enthusiastic spectator for other members of the U.S. Olympic tams, waving the Stars and Stripes at various events.

After hearing all the negative things about our country, it's refreshing to hear from someone who truly loves his country and appreciates all the opportunities offered to him.

Go Kobe!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been following the Olympics very closely, particularly during the first week. "Go Kobe!" is right! All of us Americans should be strongly supporting our Country and our President. It's okay to say so, when we disagree, but it's never okay to disrespect.
So, I'm with Kobe. I am proud to be an American. I respect our President. God bless the USA. God knows we need Him.