Monday, February 15, 2010

Memories of Winters Past

The company that has been contracted to clear the snow in the community has been very busy. It has not been an easy job now that a lot of the snow has turned to ice.

They've been piling it on the corners, which can be a problem when driving. It's hare to see oncoming traffic when turning. On the good side, when I looked out my window tonight it was so high that it took me back to a blizzard when I was about 8 or 9 years old.

We lived in a second floor apartment and there was a garage under the house in the back. There was a community drive accessed by hills on either end. The hill nearest our house which was bigger, was wonderful for sleighriding. Back then not many people drove, and they usually took the smaller hill so we kids could continue playing, until the street lights came on, of course.

When the plows came through, they piled the snow right next to our house which was right near the corner. That created a fort for my brother and me. We would have wonderful snowball fights with all the other children on our block. When the boys weren't around, we girls could play house in the fort.

The pile of snow in front of my house reminded me of that fort and the fun we had so many years ago. Snowball fight anyone?

No comments: