Monday, October 26, 2009

Say Yes to the Dress

I almost hate to admit it, but I've become a fan of the TLC show Say Yes to the Dress. I started watching just to see the dresses, but now I've become involved.

I know times have changed, but I didn't realize so much had changed, or maybe my friends and I were different and more independent from everyone else. The brides who appear on the show bring too many people to help them pick out a gown. When my best friend got married, I went with her because her mother was ill. We were the only ones. When I got married, my mother was the only one with me.

Too many people can spoil the day. I've seen brides try on a gown and they glow. They are so happy they can't wait to show it off. Then the "friends" see the gown. That same happy bride suddenly becomes unsure of her decision because one or more of the friends don't like the gown. Could they be jealous? There was one episode when the bride, a twin, brought her mother, her twin sister, her bridesmaids and I think even her future mother-in-law. No matter what dress she tried on, no matter how good she looked, no matter how much she liked the gown, her twin put on a face and complained about each gown. You could see the bride getting sadder and sadder as the day wore on. Of course, they left without buying a gown. I really feel sorry for some of these girls/women. They don't have enough confidence in their own opinion or feelings that they can be swayed by someone else. And their "friends" should think about the feelings of the bride before they criticize the gown.

I'm also surprised by the wedding gowns. Most of them look more like formal gowns and in another color could be worn anywhere. The prices are amazing too. I know prices are higher now than they were 45 years ago and, of course, salaries are also much higher, but wedding gowns are definitely much more expensive now. When I got married, my gown was one of the more expensive ones - $250, about twice my weekly salary. I've seen gowns for $10,000. Now, unless you are an executive, I don't see how you can spend that much on something you wear only once. Call me old fashioned.

No comments: