Sunday, June 21, 2009

Last night I attended a Mexican Fiesta at our Clubhouse. I've attended concerts and a trivia night, but this was the first sit-down dinner and dance. It was a good night.

Most of my single friends don't like these affairs, so I just did what my friends did and stayed away. I didn't know what I was missing. It was a good evening. It started with "cocktails", liquor-free margueritas and dacquiris. As soon as I arrived I saw the friends I would be sitting with, and then saw others that I knew. I never realized that I know so many members of the community.

After the cocktail hour we went into the ballroom which was beautifully decorated by the social committee of which I'm a member. There were two couples and myself at our table, then a third couple joined us. They've only lived here for 2 months, so they didn't know anyone. It was a very nice group, we changed seats so many times to make conversation easier.

I'm not a dancer, no sense of rhythm, but I do enjoy watching others and I encouraged the others at my table to get up and dance and not worry about leaving me at the table. That has been a problem for me in the past. Usually, one or all of the men don't want to ignore the one single woman at the table, and they ask me to dance. Last night, it was better. No one asked me to dance and I didn't have to show my lack of dancing ability. It was a relief.

I did have one criticism of the evening - the last dance. Traditionally, that is usually a slow dance. Last night, the dj played "My Way" recorded by Frank Sinatra. I really like that song, have liked for many years, but I really don't think it's appropriate for a dance attended by senior citizens -

And now, the end is here
And so I face the final curtain
My friend, I'll say it clear I'll state my case, of which I'm certain
I've lived a life that's full
I traveled each and ev'ry highway
And more, much more than
this,
I did it my way

We really don't need to be reminded that we're near the end of the road.

No comments: