Thursday, November 19, 2009

Hot Water

I've decided to take the plunge. Because of the way my house is laid out and the fact that I have no basement, it takes forever for hot water to reach my kitchen and bathroom. I waste so much water and time just waiting for it to heat up.

I've been talking about getting a tankless water heater for some time now. When I was living in the "money pit", the only good thing was that I had instant hot water, there was no water heater, just a coil on my heater. I've been spoiled.

Today the plumber is installing a new gas line for the unit and tomorrow the final installation of the water heater.

I could sound very noble and say I'm making this change in order to save the environment, but that wouldn't be true. I will be saving water and the gas needed to heat 75 gallons of water, but in fact I don't have a good record with water heaters.

I lived in Queens for about 39 years and I must have replaced 5 or 6 water heaters. Believe me, it's no fun turning on the shower in the morning and having only cold water, or going down to the basement to investigate that strange noise and finding three inches of water along the length of the house. After cleaning up and throwing out ruined boxes of stuff, I switched to plastic storage bins, but they didn't stop the floods.

I'm looking forward to again having instant hot water and not worrying about any strange noises coming from the area of the water heater.

1 comment:

threecollie said...

I will look forward to hearing how this works out for you. We have a constant problem supplying enough hot water and I have wondered about those.