Monday, May 25, 2009

Pool Opening & Dollhouse

Yesterday we had the official opening of the pool. All week we kept checking the weather forecast. The forecast for yesterday was that it would be hot with a chance of thunderstorms late in the afternoon.

When we started setting up, the wind was blowing and there was a dark cloud hovering over the clubhouse. Being the optimists that we are, we planned on being outside. It's a good thing we did. The day turned out beautiful. It was very windy, but sunny.

My job was to check in the attendees and give them their coupons for food and ice cream. We had two check in spots. After a while I began to feel like the unathletic and untalented kid who is put in right field for a game. Hardly anyone came my way, so I spent the time visiting with the few people who stopped by and checking out the sky.

This was the first time I've spent any length of time outside in the sun. I usually avoid the sun, I remember all those painful sunburns I had as a child. My arms got burned, mostly around the elbow area. Of course, there's a line where my shirt ended. I think that's the most color I'll get this year.

It was a good day. At the end, there was a drawing for the dollhouse. Fortunately, I didn't win it. One of the ladies who works in the office did. I hope she has grandchildren who will appreciate it. She had just left to go home when the ticket was picked.

We received over $600 for a charity that helps runaway children.

2 comments:

ANGELFITZ said...

CONGRATULATIONS ON A JOB WELL DONE ! HOWEVER, BECAUSE IT WENT SO WELL AND YOU MANAGED TO COLLECT MONEY FOR RUNAWAY CHILDREN, WOULD YOU CONSIDER RUNNING ANOTHER CHARITY FOR RUNAWAY ADULTS? SOUNDS GOOD TO ME.
ALL KIDDING ASIDE, YOU ALL DID A VERY GOOD THING, AND EVERYTHING WENT WELL, INCLUDING THE WEATHER. ALL THE BEST TO EVERYONE.

Ailurophile said...

Wow am glad that you raised so much money for those kids. Nice blog and I'm glad to have come across it. Love your optimism and effort for this charity event. Keep up the great work :)