Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My Garden

Several years ago, while I was still living in Queens I stopped at a local nursery just to look at the plants. I saw some basil and decided to buy it. I also saw some mint which I hadn't seen since I was a child. Of course, I had to buy some. I planted both in the yard. That was a big mistake.

The basis grew well and I made pesto for the first time, it was delicious. I was hooked on an herb garden. The mint was another issue. I didn't realize that mint grows and grows and grows. I planted two small plants. They soon spread all across the yard, all 20 ft. of it. I even put some plants in the front, they thrived there too.

Fast forward to last year. I bought several different herbs, basil, oregano, parsley and more mint. Since I don't have any growing space in back of my house, I grow them in containers indoors. Soon I discovered tiny flies all around the mint, which was quickly banished to the patio. I didn't want any of my other herbs to be affected. I basically ignored the mint, never watered it, didn't even look at it. Until yesterday.

This year I again bought my herbs (basil, parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme) and potted them. I bought more mint this time to put on the patio. I also wanted to do an experiment. I've got two pots of basil. I'm keeping one in the house and the other on the patio just to see which grows better.

While I was putting the mint and basil on the patio I saw the pot of mint from last year. It was growing beautifully in spite of my neglect. It even survived snow and freezing temperatures.

It seems you just can't kill mint.

2 comments:

threecollie said...

I love to grow mint despite its invasiveness. I have several kinds out in my mini herb garden by the tree

HMK said...

I am now working on the herb garden.
I had to download & print pix as I don't know one plant from another.
We'll see how it goes.
You are like a scientist experimenting on the basil indoors/outdoors results.