Wednesday, May 27, 2009

It's All In the Attitude

I feel so young.

Today I travelled to Woodhaven, Queens to get my hair done. I don't know whether I don't want to completely leave Woodhaven or I really don't want to change hairdressers. I could probably get as good a cut here, but Connie really does a good job with the cut and styling. Anyway, I digress.

While I was waiting for the gray to disappear, two women came in for their appointment. They appeared to be sisters. One of them had trouble walking, so the other helped her. We all started talking, or rather I listened and they talked. One of them used to be a court stenographer. The other had a bleeding ulcer about 30 years ago and completely changed the way she ate. Now she eats lots of fresh fruits and vegetables.

The younger sister was telling us about the remote control she thought she had lost. She called the company to request a "clicker", the person on the phone didn't understand what she meant. Eventually they figured it out. The younger sister told us what she said, "When you're as old as I am, you'll understand about being forgetful". She then told us that she's 92 and her sister is 94.

Except for the older sister's difficulty walking, which stemmed from a hip replacement quite a few years ago, I wouldn't have guessed them to be much more than 80. They both had a wonderful attitude. The older admitted that life is hard, but she added, the alternative is much worse. By the way, she still smokes at 94, but she added that she's like Bill Clinton, she doesn't inhale.

She also told us that they had gone to a local restaurant while their favorite one was undergoing renovations. Because of the language barrier she didn't understand the people in the restaurant so she had eggs every day for a week.

It was refreshing to see such contented and happy people. I hope when I reach that age I'm able to enjoy life as much as they do.

1 comment:

Daryl said...

What a great post .. I can understand how moving to NJ from Queens can be life changing, stick with Connie, you dont want to look like a 'Mall' person ..

Thanks for visiting my blog and the lovely comment!