Monday, April 20, 2009

Busy Day

Yesterday, a group of us attended a fundraiser dinner and gift auction for the Lions Club. One of our neighbors is a member and is very active, so we decided to help them out.

My dinner was delicious, unfortunately others at the table weren't so fortunate. We had filet mignon that was supposed to be cooked medium rare. Mine was cooked right, but there were several that were well done. I guess that was an omen that we should have stayed home.

They had a wonderful assortment of gifts that we all took a lot of chances on. They had gift certificates for local restaurants, an overnight in Atlantic City, some wine, some Bailey's with glasses, and pocketbooks with pashmina scarves. There was one that I made a deal with one of my friends on. A local Italian restaurant offered a $25 gift certificate and four Toile Placemats that I really wanted. I offered the gift certificate, but even that selfless gesture didn't enable me to win the placemates. I did win a basket containing a crystal vase with silk flowers, a mirror and a picture frame along with a table lamp. The last time I went to the fundraiser I saw a book on a lovely blue throw which happened to be placed on a chair. When I won, I discovered that I also won the chair which didn't fit into any of our cars. One of our neighbors had to take it home for us.

Some of our group did win gift baskets including an assortment of Joan Rivers (my favorite) jewelry, another won a selectioon of cat products, but the big winner was on the 50-50. She won $435.00. Good for her.

Maybe we'll have better luck next year.

The dinner and auction lasted longer than we all thought and I had just enough time when I got home to change my shoes and head over to our meeting of the wine club. We tasted five different Cabernet Sauvignons. It's amazing how different the same grape can taste when it comes from different vineyards and countries.

We're just starting, this was the first real tasting. We have about 30 members and I've spoken with a few others who are interested in joining. There is one thing I did learn last night and that is that I can "eyeball" a serving of 2 ounces or 1/4 cup. I'm very proud of that.

2 comments:

Snooty Primadona said...

I never seem to win anything at auctions but that's probably because I don't bid high enough, lol. Hooray that you won something!

I would love to have a wine tasting club. That just sounds like so much fun!

BetteJo said...

I've never been to an auction or a wine tasting. That sounds so much more fun than my life!