Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Thoughts on My Stolen Car

It has been five days since my car was stolen and it is sinking in, I may never have my car back. At first, I was accepting that this is part of life in this day and age. Now I'm getting angry. The only problem is that I don't know where that anger should be placed.


Why do people steal? Is it because they haven't been taught that it's wrong, or is it because they feel entitled to someone else's property? Or, do they just have total disregard for another person's property and feelings. If my car is not found, my insurance company will give me a small amount of money for the car. What the insurance company can't give me is the feeling of safety and security I had last Thursday morning. I have lost some self-confidence, I now double check to see if I have locked my rental car, I now double check my parking space. The biggest thing I have lost is the feeling of pleasure of going into the City. I now worry about leaving the car in a parking lot. Will I ever regain that feeling of security, I'm sure I will, but for now I can't look forward to any City trips in the near future.


About 30 years ago my husband's car was stolen. One of the hardest things I had to do that time was tell my two young sons that someone had taken our car. Until that time, in their eyes, everyone was good. About 10 years later, another car was stolen. Because this was during the '80's and the police has more pressing work, my son suggested that I check with the various impound lots in the City. I located the car in one of the lots and after completing much paperwork, we recovered the car.


I was reminded of this today when I answered my phone. It was the Police Officer from the Lakewood Police Department. He just wanted to keep my informed, no, they hadn't found my car, but they were still working on it. Being from New York, I found that kind of service very refreshing. He also told me that my Subaru is high on the list of stolen cars along with Hondas and Toyotas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think people steal from others because they simply don't care...You have met your share of amoral people, Mom, people who have no ethics, scruples, principles, honor, honesty or truth. They know what they want, and they go after it, and the means to their end does not matter. They are the sociopaths and they are out of control.
Thank God for your safety, Mom, and for the good officers in your state.