Saturday, May 24, 2008

New York on TV

Tonight I was looking for something on TV. I came across the Secrets of New York. I had forgotten about this show.

Tonight they discussed three of New York's more famous bridges - the Brooklyn, the Williamsburg and the George Washington. This weekend the city is celebrating the 125th anniversary of the opening of the Brooklyn Bridge. It's been a very low key celebration, unlike the 100th anniversary. There were fireworks on Thursday, but I haven't heard about anything more.

When the George Washington Bridge was first designed, there was supposed to be a restaurant in one of the towers, and the towers were supposed to be covered. Unfortunately, the bridge was designed in 1927 which was followed two years later by the depression. The towers were left uncovered, which really hasn't spoiled the appearance.

Secrets was followed by Cool in Your Code which I've never seen. Each show covers a neighborhood of NY by ZIP code. Tonight they visited the Lower East Side (10002) which at one time was the most densely populated part of the country. I've driven through this area many times, but never spent much time there. They visited Moby's restaurant Teany, a pickle store, Katz' Deli, Jerry Stiller who spoke about his days at Seward Park High School. They also visited Inoteca, a wine bar and Italian Restaurant.

They also visited the Lower East Side Museum on Orchard Street which is a tenement which, when it was built had no electric, no heat or indoor plumbing. I've heard about this museum which shows life as it was early in the 20th century. I think that should go on my list of things to see and do in NYC.

There have been many changes in New York through the years, but one thing I've noticed is that neighborhoods' names have been shortened to either letters like LES (Lower East Side), or names like SoHo (South of Houston St.), NoHo (North of Houston St.), etc.

It's a great City.

No comments: