Sunday, May 4, 2008

Families

I've just come back from a family wedding at the Jersey Shore. Because my husband was the youngest of seven children, I have nieces and nephews who are almost as old as I. They also now have children of marrying age.

This time it was my niece's son. It was a very interesting wedding. The couple did not want to do a traditional wedding. As a starter, the bride and her father came down the aisle to (I think) the theme of Masterpiece Theater. The bride's mother wore a plain black dress and the groom's mother had a rust colored dress. All the bride's attendants also wore dresses, not the frilly gowns of previous weddings. They did not have the traditional wedding cake, instead they served cupcakes. They didn't even have the traditional cutting of the cake, or in this case, cupcake. The dinner was a buffet.

It was great seeing all the family again. There are only three left of the original seven and only two of those were able to make it. The grandmother of the groom had been ill, but fortunately made it to the wedding, along with eight of her nine children. They are such a happy family. It was great catching up with everyone again. It's so rare that we all are able to get together that I had to be reintroduced to most of my nieces and nephews.

It's a shame that families only seem to be able to get together for weddings and funerals. Fortunately, this was a happy reunion. I think I'll plan a party for this summer and try to get everyone together again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great great idea for a family reunion! Do it! Usually, everyone can't come, but what fun for those who do. Sounds like the start of a wonderful tradition.