Thursday, May 1, 2008

A Good Day Gone Bad

Today was a beautiful day. I didn't have to wait too long for my bus into the City for my visit to the Met and my lecture. It was an uneventful ride.

The lecture was very interesting, a discussion of music in time of war. After the lecture, I took a walk around the museum. I wanted to visit the American Wing, but the entrance on the main floor was closed, so I had to go upstairs, walk around and then come down. Once I was downstairs, there was no way out except to go back upstairs, around and then down to the main hall. I did enjoy my wanderings.

When I left, I stopped at a few street vendors and admired their pictures and chatted with them. One of them, a woman, had lovely pictures of wildlife in Central Park. She had lived all her life in NYC, first in Beach Haven, Queens and now in Manhattan. I'll have to add a trip to Central Park, armed with my camera, to my list of things I want to do.

The ride home was also uneventful. I was engrossed in my new book, KILLER HEAT by Linda Fairstein. It is very good and I'm almost finished. I was surprised when we got to the terminal. I can't wait until I finish it.

Then, I went to the parking lot to collect my car. I walked up one aisle, down another, then back to the first. It was nowhere to be seen. I called the police to report it. A police officer came and he also looked all over the lot. I assured him that there were no payments due on the car and no outstanding traffic tickets and that no one else had a key, since both keys were in my pocketbook. The next step was to go to the station to fill out the report. Then I discovered that all my friends' telephone numbers were all at home. I guess the officer felt sorry for my so he drove me home. I wonder how long it will take to get around the community that someone came home in a Police Car.

Now all I have to do is wait until someone finds my car, or a month goes by so my insurance will settle and I have to buy a new car. This could not have come at a worse time, I'm supposed to leave tomorrow for a wedding at the Jersey Shore. I planned on a nice relaxing three day weekend away. But first, I have to rent a car and ask a friend to drive me to the rental agency. It's never dull.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your car being stolen. It left me with a sickened feeling. I wish that I could help you!