Thursday, October 21, 2010

Free Speech?

Today I wished that I were a contributor to NPR.

Don't get me wrong, I don't support the organization, but if I had been a contributor, I would have cancelled future contributions or asked for my money back.

Their firing of Juan Williams for expressing his personal opinion on Bill O'Reilly's show on the Fox Network was wrong, wrong, wrong. Had he expressed a similar opinion about the Tea Party, I'm sure he would still have a job.

I've seen Juan Williams many times on the Fox Network, some of those times I've strongly disagreed with him, but I never would expect Fox to stop having him on any show.

Last year, there was a discussion about something on O'Reilly's show and the other guest said something to Juan Williams that is a racial slur. Mr. Williams said nothing, he didn't yell or scream. Bill O'Reilly commented and said how wrong it was.

Then, to add insult to injury, the head of NPR inferred that Mr. Williams had a psychiatrist. I've heard that she has apologized, however, that remark was totally uncalled for and cannot be taken back.

The powers that be at NPR should look at some of their other commentators. I just heard one seemingly wish or, or suggest, that Jesse Helms or one of his grandchildren get AIDS from a transfusion. Why is that OK?

As far as Mr. Williams' opinion that he gets a little nervous if he sees Muslims in full Muslim attire at an airport, don't we all? I also seem to remember someone commenting that his grandmother gets nervous and even crosses the street when she sees a black man coming in the opposite direction. That person wasn't fired, in fact he was elected president.

Juan Williams is my hero for speaking out about his feelings and for being so vocal about his firing.

3 comments:

threecollie said...

Good post. I am glad so many are springing to this man's defense. They are trying so hard to train us not to say what we think!

Anonymous said...

I agree completely. The left liberals are completely out of touch.or maybe it is more than that/ Linda

Snooty Primadona said...

I'm in total agreement with you. And hey, I have to admit I often get a little nervous myself when I see Muslims on my flights. 911 made me that way.

Frankly, George Orwell's 1984 seems to be getting closer & closer to us, all the time. That should be scaring the Hell out of everyone in this country, but apparently that's not happening...