Sunday, July 19, 2009

Wine

We have many clubs in our community. One of them is the Wine Tasting club. We meet once a month and usually taste one particular grape from several different vineyards. Tonight our meeting was slightly different. We had a speaker who explained the various terms and grapes. We also tasted two white wines, sauvignon blanc and a riesling. Then we tasted two reds, Chianti and a pinot noir.

Usually I can't pick out the various flavors. I'm very good at noticing the oak flavor in a chardonnay, but can't pick out the fruits, herbs, flowers, etc. Tonight, however was different. I was able to notice a black cherry flavor in the pinot noir.

Toward the end of the meeting we had a blind taste test of pinot noir, Chianti, shiraz and California cabernet sauvignon. I was quite surprised that I was able to pick all the right wines. I guess I know more than I thought about wine.

At the end of the meeting I had a chance to speak with our "teacher". I mentioned that I had been to several wine tastings with well known wine experts, but I learned more tonight than I had at the other tastings. We chatted for a little while and someone asked if wine was his career. He said no, it was just a hobby. I was shocked to learn that he is actually a seminarian and will one day be a priest.

1 comment:

BetteJo said...

Sounds like he'll be a well-rounded priest!