Monday, July 13, 2009

Friends

Today I had lunch with an old friend. We hadn't seen each other in about 15 years, but we have kept in touch for Christmas and birthdays.

We met on our first job as secretaries at Buell Engineering. When the company moved to Pennsylvania, we saw each other occasionally and as the years went by and our families grew, it got harder to get together.

We spent the afternoon talking about our co-workers and trying to figure who sat where and trying to remember some of the people. She has kept in touch with some, I with others. It was a fun place to work, mostly because we were all very close in age and had similar backgrounds. I made some very good friends on that job.

She remembered her early days on the job. She came right from high school. College was out of the question for any of us back then. She asked me how to spell a certain word and I, acting very superior since I was 4 years older, told her to look it up in the dictionary, that way she would learn the word. It's hard to believe that we would become friends after the way I acted.

Some of us have stayed close to New York and some of us have moved far away, but we all still have fond memories of the job and people we met there.

No comments: