Sunday, July 5, 2009

Statue of Liberty

I hope everyone had a very happy and safe 4th of July.

This weekend, the National Parks' Service opened the crown of the Statue of Liberty to the public. Every channel did a piece on the statue. I learned a few things.

One thing that I did know was that the interior of the statue was designed by Eiffel (of the Tower fame). I learned this last year during my trip to France. But this year, I learned that there are over 300 steps to climb to get into the crown. The staircase is a spiral. There is only one way up and one way down. There are no elevators. The entire statue is over 300 feet tall. There is no fee to enter the statue, but there is a ferry fee of $10.00 for seniors and $12.00 for others.

I've never been to the Statue of Liberty, although I've passed it several times on the Staten Island Ferry and twice on cruises. Maybe some day I'll go.

But, I'll never go up to the crown. Climbing all those stairs would probably kill me before I ever got a chance to see the view. Then, there's the little problem I have with heights.

Ah well, I can always admire it from afar.

No comments: