Friday, July 6, 2007

Memorabilia

Today I was going through some old papers trying to decide which to keep and which to throw out when I came across a program for Carnegie Hall in October 1994. I wondered why I had decided to keep it.

That was a difficult time, my husband has just died and my company was in transition. Then my boss called with an extra ticket to Carnegie Hall and invited me to accompany her. The Montreal Symphony was performing pieces from Hindemith, Sibelius and Schumann. There was also a 12 year old violin prodigy, Sarah Chang. She was wonderful. She seemed to enjoy performing, you could see it in her face. I wonder if she's still performing, I hope so.

After I read the program which brought back such good memories, I now know why I kept it. I guess that's why we hold on to "things". It's not the object so much as the memories and thoughts they trigger that make us happy.

No comments: