Friday, July 2, 2010

Walking

Ever since I retired, I've exercised and walked less and less. As a result, whenever I do some walking on a "city fix" I'm in pain for days. My legs and feet hurt.

Since I have two vacations c0ming up soon and they are sure to involve a lot of walking I decided to do something. I've mapped out three (so far) routes in the community for walking. They range from 1 mile to 1.4 miles. My goal is to walk 5 days a week and hopefully increase the distance to 3 miles a day. I know that once I get back into shape it's doable.

There are a couple of problems with walking in my community. One is time. You can walk for distance, but you can't plan on being out for a specific time. It never fails, I usually meet someone I know and stop and chat, or greet a dog.

The other is a little game I like to call, "Dodge the sprinkler" I'll be happily walking along and suddenly hear the hiss and then I have to quickly move to the other side of the street or get wet. Someone's sprinkler has gone on.

In spite of these little problems I've enjoyed getting out each morning for my little walk.

No comments: