Monday, July 5, 2010

Stolen Berries

This morning after my 1.3 mile walk (bragging) I decided to water my plants. There are some new flowers that are looking wilted along with one of my hydrangea. I thought I gave them a good soaking, but it's been so hot here that they still don't look so good.

Then I went around to the herbs. While I was watering them I remembered that I saw a lot of half ripe strawberries on Saturday. Thinking there might be 6 or 7 I started looking forward to sliced strawberries on my breakfast cereal. Imagine my shock at not seeing any berries. They were all eaten right off the plant. One was even dropped on the ground.

I can't imagine what animal would have eaten them. I know there are deer in the neighborhood, but I'm on the main street in the community away from any woods and have never seen them here. There are a lot of birds and there is the hungry baby bunny I see hopping on the lawns. Maybe one of them had a feast.

Who is the thief?

2 comments:

Snooty Primadona said...

Oh, how disappointing! I know that rabbits, deer, turkey and a number of birds will eat strawberries.

At one time I bought some bird netting at Gardens Alive online & it kept everything out. I'd even get stuck in it if I had any jewelry on...

Pamela said...

birds eat mine