Thursday, July 1, 2010

Hello Again!

I just realized that I haven't blogged since June 21. I can't believe I've been so lazy. Part of the reason for this lapse is the fact that my PC has been ailing. I have my laptop, but I felt "out of it" without all my old emails and documents.

Fortunately, my son was at a trade show close by and he made a house call. He had to take my pc back to factory settings and then use Carbonite to restore all my old files. Tonight he made the final repair and I now have all my old emails, calendars and addresses. I was just overwhelmed at the thought of compiling all my email addresses and telephone numbers.

He worked long and hard to restore everything and I didn't even get a bill.

5 comments:

ANGELFITZ/SSS said...

HELLO AGAIN TO YOU. I MISSED YOUR STORIES. ISN'T IT GREAT TO HAVE A FAMILY MEMBER BE ABLE TO FIX A COMPUTER AND WITH NO CHARGE? I THINK EVERY FAMILY SHOULD HAVE A PARTICIPATING PLUMBER, ELECTRICIAN, DOCTOR, DENTIST, MECHANIC, ETC. ETC. ETC. THE LIST COULD BE ENDLESS, ESPECIALLY IF IT'S A LARGE EXTENDED GROUP. WELCOME BACK......

threecollie said...

That is great that he got it going again for you. Awful when your computer does that.

Mary P said...

How does the damage occur in the first place? Does your son know?
ms/sss

Anonymous said...

Lucky you that he knew how to fix it! Love reading your posts. Linda

Cromely said...

I think there was a minor power hit or momentary glitch at the worst possible time for the machine.

During a Windows update a key series of files became corrupted and prevented the machine from successfully starting up again. It wasn't something physically broken -- I just had to fix the software by erasing everything and recreating it.

The important lesson is to always back you data on a machine because you never know what will happen. With a single machine, Carbonite.Com was a great and easy back up solution. Once you set it up, you just have to let it always run in the background. You don't have to worry about backups again because it just takes care of it.