Saturday, December 27, 2008

Family Visits

This past week has been one of visiting with various family members. My son came home last week for a nice long visit.

On Christmas day we went to visit my niece and her husband. Every year she hosts Christmas for her family. She is one of nine children, but some of them live out of the area, so there were only four of her siblings with their spouses and children and grandchildren, along with her mother. They are a very happy family and it's always good to see them.

Today my niece, her daughter and my nephew came from Long Island. I thought they'd arrive around 1:30, but they got here at 4:00 pm. We had a nice dinner in spite of my dropping the ham and spilling the gravy all over me. Fortunately, it never hit the floor, just the gravy. Then, I almost forgot about the potatoes.

I was a little concerned about my niece's daughter since she's 7 years old and there were no other children around. I was afraid she'd get bored. I do have an assortment of coloring books and bought her a gingerbread house to assemble. Her mother and uncle wound up doing most of the work.

The day went very well, even the cats were well behaved. That is until Burnie ate some of the leftover salad with the usual digestive upset. Later, he knocked a pitcher of Half & Half over onto the table so he could have a drink.

Crash, of course, followed me around. Both are napping now, they've had a very busy day. I realized that two cats are definitely more trouble than one seven year old girl.

No comments: