Friday, March 6, 2009

Hyacinths

Last fall I decided that I really should plant some bulbs in front of the house. Since I love the scent of hyacinths, I bought a couple of packages.

I should say that I really don't enjoy digging in the dirt. I like flower gardens, but only if someone else plants and takes care of it. I do like growing things though. I have no problem with my house plants, that dirt seems different, although I don't know why. Anyway, I just couldn't find the right time to plant the bulbs. They were put aside and forgotten.

I recently decided to look at them to see if they were OK after all this time of neglect. To my surprise, some of them are starting to sprout. I planted four of them in pots and am keeping them in the house. It's still too cold to put them outside in the ground.

When the ground warms up, I promise I'll plant them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel.
I inherited a "botanical garden" from past owner of my house and haven't a clue how to tend some more exotic plants and flowers.
I love them in bloom but would prefer a "ghost gardener" to do the work.
It is a thrill though when something sprouts.

Snooty Primadona said...

The reason the house plants care feels different is... Ready? Because it's clean if it comes in a bag bought at the nursery, right? Outside, the dirt isn't *clean*, lol.

I've forever tried to garden with gloves, but found I couldn't *feel thingys* in the soil, so I ruin my manicure by going at it bare-handed.

That said, I think I've reached the age that I'd much prefer for someone else to do it but hubby won't spring for that, so I guess I'm stuck with the title of *on-site gardener* if I want pretty things outside to adorn my house.

;-)