Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

Today I had a Thanksgiving that most people would consider unthinkable. I was on my own, just me and the cats.

I'm not the kind of woman who doesn't like to cook for herself, so I planned a nice chicken dinner. Instead of mashed potatoes I made mashed sweet potatoes which were very good. Since I was the only one eating, I decided to experiment; I made cauliflower with cheese sauce. The sauce was very tasty, but more like soup than sauce. By the time I had everything done, and on my plate I realized I had forgotten the cranberry sauce and stuffing. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

I tried sharing my chicken with the cats, but they wanted no part of it.

There are advantages in being on ones own. I can make anything I want, even experiment with not so traditional dishes. I can make whatever dessert I want and I don't have to share. There are also disadvantages. I can indulge myself and make my favorites, I don't have to share my dessert.

It's not the best way to celebrate a holiday, but it's also not the worst. I started the day with the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (it was better on CBS than on NBC), I didn't have to watch any football and I don't have too many dishes to wash.

I'm not going to sit around feeling sorry for myself so I made myself a good dinner and a great apple pie with fresh apples and Pillsbury pie crust (I have trouble making crusts).

No comments: