Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Water

I've been doing a lot of complaining about the state of the world lately, but now it's time for something lighter.

For as long as I can remember, I've been afraid of the water. I don't know when it started because until I was about eight I often "swam" in a lake in an inner tube. I signed up for an exercise class because it was 45 minutes of aerobics and didn't include any floating. About two weeks ago, the instructor changed the format to include floating with "noodles". I don't know where I got the nerve, but I complained that that wasn't what I signed on for.

A week later, she gave me her home phone number and volunteered to help me get over my fear. I've gotten better, but when my feet are off the bottom of the pool for more than 10 seconds, I panic. She seems to think she can help me.

We start next week, I hope it works. It sounds strange, but I would really like to be able to float, and maybe learn to swim. After all, it looks so easy.

No comments: